Housesimple.com ("we”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR"), and any national implementing laws, regulations and secondary legislation in the UK, plus any successor legislation to GDPR or the Data Protection Act 1998 ("the Data Protection Legislation"), HouseSimple Limited of The Octagon, Middleborough, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1TG is the data controller.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our sites or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you subscribe to our services, search our site, participate in social media functions on our site, enter a competition, promotion or survey and when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address, phone number and financial and credit card information.
Information we collect about you. Each time you visit our site, we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform; and
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our sites (including date and time); information you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- Information you give to us. We will use this information:
o to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
o to provide you with information about other services we offer that are similar to those on our site;
o to notify you about changes to our service;
o to ensure that content from our sites is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer; and
o to provide you with information about services or market updates we feel may interest you. If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by e-mail or SMS with information about services similar to those which we have already provided to you. If you have not previously purchased services from us we will only contact you by e-mail or SMS if you have consented to this e.g. by ticking a marketing preferences box on a form that we used to collect your information. You can contact us at any time to update your marketing preferences by clicking on the links that appear on the bottom of each of our marketing communications or by Contacting Us.
- Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
o to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
o to improve our sites to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
o to monitor your compliance with contracts entered into between you and us;
o to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service;
o as part of our efforts to keep our sites safe and secure;
o to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you; and
o to make suggestions and recommendations to you about goods or services that may interest you.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Disclosure of your information
You agree that we may share your personal information with:
- Other member(s) of our corporate group from time to time (if any)
Selected third parties including:
- business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you;
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our sites; or
- credit reference agencies for the purpose of verifying your identity and/or assessing your credit score where this is a condition of us entering into a contract with you.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose or transfer your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- if HouseSimple Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data we hold about our customers will be one of the transferred assets; or
When we need your consent to use your personal data
Whilst we always want you to be aware of how we are using your personal data, this does not necessarily mean that we are required to ask for your consent before we can use it. In the day to day running of our business, we may use your personal data without asking for your consent because:
- we are entering into and carrying out our obligations under a contract with you;
- we need to use your personal data for our own legitimate purposes (such as the administration and management of our business and the improvement of our services) and our doing so will not interfere with your privacy rights,
In exceptional circumstances, we may wish to use your personal data for a different purpose which does require your consent. In these circumstances, we will contact you to explain how we wish to use your data and to ask for your consent. You are not required to give consent just because we ask for it. If you do give consent you can change your mind and withdraw it at a later date.
Please refer to the section on How we use your personal data for marketing to read about marketing consents.
Personal data you are legally obliged to provide
You are not under a legal obligation to provide us with any of your personal data but please note that if you elect not to provide us with your personal data we may be unable to provide our goods or services to you.
Your rights to know what personal data we hold and to control how we use it
You also have rights to:
- prevent your personal data being used for marketing purposes (see How we use your personal data for marketing for further details);
- have inaccurate personal data corrected, blocked or erased;
- object to decisions being made about you by automated means or to your personal data being used for profiling purposes; and
- object to our using your personal data in ways that are likely to cause you damage or distress.
You can find full details of your personal data rights on the Information Commissioner’s Office website at ww.ico.org.uk.
Data received from third parties
We have obtained name and contact details from Zoopla, Right Move and other UK-based partners which operate property portals, this information is retain this information for up to 2 years following last contact.
Automated decision making and profiling
We do not make use of automated decision making or profiling.
When we will share your personal data with others
We share your data with the following people in the day to day running our business:
- other companies that are part of the Housesimple group;
- any business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors we work with to provide you with goods or services that you have requested from us;
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site; and
- credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score where this is a condition of us entering into a contract with you.
We may also share your personal information with third parties on a one-off basis, for example, if:
- we sell or buy any business or assets (including our own), in which case we will disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets; and
How we keep your personal data safe
We take every care to ensure that your personal data is kept secure. The security measures we take include:
- only storing your personal data on our secure servers;
- encrypting any payment transactions made through our website using SSL technology;
- ensuring that our staff receive regular data security awareness training;
- keeping paper records to a minimum and ensuring that those we do have are stored in locked filing cabinets on our office premises;
- maintaining up to date firewalls and anti-virus software to minimise the risk of unauthorised access to our systems; and
- enforcing a strict policy on the use of mobile devices and out of office working
Please remember that you are responsible for keeping your passwords secure. If we have given you (or you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. Please do not to share your passwords with anyone.
Unfortunately, sending information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of personal data sent to our website; you send us personal data at your own risk. Once we have received your personal data, we will use strict procedures and security features (some of which are described above) to try to prevent unauthorised access.
How we use your personal data for marketing
We will add your details to our marketing database if:
- you make an enquiry about our services;
- you buy our services;
- you have told a third party that you would like them to pass us your contact details so that we can send you updates about our services; and
- you have registered an account on our website and have indicated during the sign-up process that you are happy to receive marketing communications.
We may send you marketing communications by e-mail, telephone, text message or post.
You can ask us to only send you marketing communications by particular methods (for example, you may be happy to receive emails from us but not telephone calls), or you may ask us not to send you any marketing communications at all.
We never share your personal data with third parties for marketing purposes.
When we will send your personal data to other countries
we store your personal data on systems provided by US suppliers who have servers located in the US. We have verified that US suppliers are registered under the Privacy Shield
How long we keep your personal data
We only keep your personal data for as long as we actually need it. In practice this means that we will keep:
- your name, contact details and personal records (such as date of birth) for 2 years after you last contact us;
- a record of the services we provide to you for 7 years;
- complaint records for 7 years;
- Identification information assigned by government institutions, Electronic identification data, Electronic localization data, Financial means data and legal data for 5 years after the end of the business relationship;
- Financial identification data for 6 years after the end of the business relationship; and
- Phone recordings for 30 days
Please note that we may anonymise your personal data or use it for statistical purposes. We keep anonymised and statistical data indefinitely but we take care to ensure that such data can no longer identify or be connected to any individual.
How you can make a complaint
You are also entitled to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office which you can do by visiting www.ico.org.uk. Whilst you are not required to do so, we encourage you to contact us directly to discuss any concerns that you may have and to allow us an opportunity to address these before you contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.
How we keep this policy up to date
We will review and update this policy from time to time. This may be to reflect a change in the goods or services we offer or to our internal procedures or it may be to reflect a change in the law.
The easiest way to check for updates is by looking for the latest version of this policy on our website (www.housesimple.com/terms-and-conditions/privacy) or you can contact us (see the contact details set out at the end of this policy) to ask us to send you the latest version of our policy.
Each time we update our policy we will update the policy version number shown at the end of the policy and the date on which that version of the policy came into force.
This is policy version 2 which came into effect on 11th May 2018.
In writing, addressing your correspondence to: HouseSimple Limited of The Octagon, Middleborough, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1TG
By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
By telephone by calling: 0333 920 3717
How much is your house worth?
Get a FREE no obligation valuation visit from our Local Property Expert.