Whether you’re moving to a new city, out of your parents' place, or into your first home, it's a time to celebrate new beginnings. But before you can settle into your new pad, there's the small task of packing up your belongings to contend with. The excitement of the big move can quickly diminish when you find yourself with an never-ending pile of boxes and no idea where to start.
To help your move go as smoothly as possible, we've come up with some expert tips for effortless packing:
1. Pick the right boxes: use strong, sturdy boxes to ensure all your things arrive to their destination in one piece. Use bubble wrap and plenty of newspaper to keep breakables safe and secure.
2. Pack well in advance: start boxing up your belongings long before you plan on moving. Give yourself time to get everything in order so you're not feeling rushed and stressed the day before.
3. Clear out clutter: it’s better to throw, donate or sell things before you move, rather than cart them with you just to decide that you no longer want or need them at the new place.
4. Label, label, label: mark your boxes clearly and you’ll spend less time searching for lost things and more time enjoying your new home.
5. Pack neatly: packing your boxes like they're Tetris blocks may feel like a waste of time, but you'll thank yourself when you’re trying to unpack your things in your new home.
6. Small items in large boxes and large items in small boxes: this makes boxes a lot easier to carry. Place heavier items at the bottom of the box and lighter items on top to minimise breakages.
7. Organise boxes by room: pack boxes by room, then load them into the car or van in the same order. When it comes to unloading, you’ll know which boxes go where.
8. Leave stuff in the drawers: if you’re moving furniture, leave lightweight items like clothing in the drawers. This saves on boxes and unpacking!
9. Stack your plates side by side: plates are more likely to break if you place them bottom down in the box. Individually wrap them in paper and stand them side-by-side instead.
10. Pack a 'moving day' bag: don't forget to pop a toothbrush and a pair of pyjamas in a backpack so you're prepared for the first night in your new home.