As moving day creeps closer, so does the mammoth task of packing your worldly belongings into boxes, crates and other receptacles. With plenty to do when selling your home, you can quickly feel overwhelmed. To help you out, we’ve put together a list of five top tips that will have you packing like a pro.
1. Stock up on packing supplies: ahead of your moving date start saving newspapers, carrier bags and bubble wrap for wrapping your breakables. Collect boxes of varying sizes – small boxes are useful for heavy items such as dinnerware. Also, get a few markers to label your boxes as soon as you seal them, listing key items and the room the box should be placed in. This will save you a lot of time locating particular things when unpacking.
2. Start with back-of-the-closet items: remember to pack the things you use least, first. Begin with wardrobes, cupboards and drawers, and take the chance to throw out items you no longer need. This is an easy way to reduce your workload before you’ve even begun.
3. Make a ‘last minute tasks’ list: create a list of the things you’ll need to leave to the last minute, to ensure you don’t forget about them. Include an inventory of the fittings you are taking with you, and jobs such as checking meters, leaving out garage or gate remote controls for your buyers and packing items from the garden.
4. Prepare a loading area: as your boxes start to stack up, reserve a space as close to the front entrance as possible where you can store fully packed boxes. This will make loading your car or van faster and smoother. What’s more, having all your boxes in one place will help to keep things neat and organised while you’re packing.
5. Have a bag of essentials ready to go: reserve one box or bag for all the items that you will need to use in the first few days at your new home. This might include a kettle, mugs, spoons, tea bags, snacks, toothbrushes, nightwear, fresh clothes and dinnerware. Load this box last so it’s the first to come out at the other end. You’ll be mighty grateful for easy access to a cuppa after hauling all those boxes.
We wish you a stress-free moving day!